Alrighty, we are back to CSA season (Community Supported Agriculture Weekly Food Box). CSA involves creative cooking is at its best. What is that show again where they are only given certain ingredients and they have to make something delicious? Having a CSA a box has been our chance at our own version of ‘Chopped.’
If you want to learn how to cook, sign-up for a CSA weekly food box and get to work!
- Abounding Harvest Mountain Farm – CSA Pick-up – Summit Road in the Los Gatos Mountains
- Recipes from Abounding Harvest Farm
- Live Earth Farms – CSA Pick-up – Various Santa Cruz locations all the way to San Jose
- Recipes from Live Earth Farms
John’s been the main cook lately. He had string beans and arugula to work with. So he found this salad recipe that only had a few ingredients and it was a great weeknight summer meal for two. Add some crusty sourdough to make it a meal.
Grilled String Bean Salad with Arugula & Lemon Recipe
- 1/2 – 3/4 lbs. String Beans (yellow or green), trim each end off but keep beans long
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2-3 large hand-fulls of arugula, trimmed
- 1-1 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Toss the beans with the olive oil and garlic. Let them sit for a bit and then wrap all of them in a square of tin-foil, for grilling. Warm the grill up while you are letting the beans sit for 10 or so minutes. Then grill the beans in the aluminum foil pack for 15-25 minutes – be sure not to char or burn them too much, a little tastes good to me. Let the beans cool a bit. Combine the beans with the rest of the ingredients (arugula, salt/pepper, lemon zest). Serve!
* I’ve read you can use your oven if you don’t have a grill – (425F for 30 mins).