Sunset Magazine recipes are the go to place to find a recipe when friends are coming over and you don’t have time to try the recipe the week before. I really trust Sunset Magazine’s recipes because they always test them to ensure their quality and they always have flavor and spice.
For the holidays this year, a friend got me the Sunset Cookbook. There are so many recipes in it worth trying that it will take me years to get through all of them. This recipe has great flavor and can be eaten for dinner on salad and for lunch the next day in a sandwich. Don’t skimp on the Jalapeno, you need at least 2-3 TBSP to feel a bit of heat. Also, this chicken salad is half the harm utilizing Greek Yogurt for half of the Mayo. Um, the flavor is partially acquired from the white and dark meat of a rotisserie chicken!
Lemon Cashew Chicken Salad Recipe
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 3 medium lemons
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 to 3 tbsp. finely chopped jalapeño chile
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup low-fat or whole milk Greek strained yogurt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 4 cups shredded white and dark chicken meat (from one 2 1/2- to 3-lb. rotisserie chicken)
- Chopped cashews
1. In a medium frying pan over low heat, toast cumin and coriander seeds until fragrant, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer seeds to a spice grinder and process until finely ground. Zest lemons and set aside zest. Juice 1 lemon and set aside 3 tbsp. juice.
2. Melt butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Add ginger, jalapeño, and salt. Cook until jalapeño is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
3. In a large bowl, stir together mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice, ginger-jalapeño mixture, and ground spices. Add cilantro, green onions, and chicken; stir to coat well with dressing. Taste and adjust seasonings as needed. Sprinkle with cashews and serve.