- 2010 Cheapskate Foodie Gift Idea #1 – A GrassRoutes Urban Eco Travel Guide!
I met Serena of GrassRoutes Guides (Oakland, CA) at a Food Blogging dinner in SF and quickly wanted to know when she would come down and write a guidebook about Silicon Valley/South Bay because we are not the ugly step sister of SF. I really liked Serena’s energy and optimism about Oakland in particular. Now we have a ton more spots to check out in our often frequented Oakland (and then some spots from her other guides on SF, Wine Country, Portland, & Seattle). Serena told me that Eco-Tourism should not just be for the exotic travels to such locales as Costa Rica but that even urban places in the Bay Area, that are Eco-conscious, can enrich and enlighten our travels and explorations at home.
The Oakland/Berkeley Guidebook page online has lots of restaurant descriptions and suggestions for places to eat in Categories such as:
- Do Lunch (Bake Sale Betty – Famous Fried Chix Sandwich)
- Casual Night Out – (One pick we’ve tried is – Dona Tomas – Great Cookbook and Creative, Upscale Mexican Spot)
- Coffee Time (Blue Bottle of course! – Don’t miss it!)
- Dress Up
- Farm to Table
- International Grocery
- Sweet Tooth
- Imbibe (Need to add Beer Revolution & Friday at Drakes Brewery to the list (I know it is in San Leandro but it is so worth it))