Treats for a Foodie in Northern Michigan’s Leelenau County:
- North Peaks Brewery “Archangel Summer Wheat” made with Michigan Cherry Juice Ale – Traverse City
This is the newest microbrew to be released by North Peaks Brewery in Traverse City. It has a slight cherry taste that is very suitable for the “Cherry Capital of the World” and is an awesome summer brew! We didn’t make it there this year but friends went to Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City and said it was great!
- Pleva’s Meat Market in Cedar, MI – 13 miles from Traverse City in Leelanau County
Ring Bologna is what we tried this year for an appetizer before dinner with crackers. Pleva’s also has lots of cherry-inspired meats such as Italian Cherry Brats, All Beef Cherry Dogs, Cherry Pecan Sausage, Cherry Pecan Brats, Chicken Cherry Sausage, Cherry Chorizo Brats, and much, much more.
Guest Bloggers & Photographers for Blame it on the Food – The Benny’s
- Joe’s Friendly Tavern in Empire, MI on Lake Michigan – A New (to us) Tasty Cherry Treat
Friendly Chips & Salsa – Homemade sweet potato chips with homemade black sweet cherry salsa.
- La Becasse – Burdickville, MI on Glen Lake (near Glen Arbor, north of Traverse City)
It’s a cozy authentic French bistro. Everything on the menu is appealing, and they use locally produced ingredients. There are several specials every night. Of the entrees we ordered our favorites were the whitefish (coated with pistachios and parmesan and served with a remoulade sauce), the veal medallions with wild mushroom cream sauce and the acorn squash stuffed with risotto.
- Guests receive a complimentary “amuse bouche” prepared by the chef right after placing their orders–so amazing that you want more!!!!
The desserts are to die for. We shared a warm chocolate cake with a molten center, covered with a crusty sugared phyllo dough and topped with a bittersweet chocolate sauce and vanilla ice cream. Yummy! It’s fine dining without a doubt. The service is rather slow though, so be prepared for a two- to three-hour meal, especially if you have several courses.
- Wine Tasting in Northern Michigan:
We found that most places charged a minimal tasting fee for your choice of 4-5 wines.
- Good Harbor Vineyards – Located just outside of Leland. We liked the bubbly! $3 for tastings
- Forty-Five North – Great new tasting room with award-winning wines. You receive four complimentary tastings and after that you pay $5 for reserve tastings. Right now Forty-Five North uses CA grapes as they await the maturation of their vines. Last year we loved the pinot noir rose and this year they featured their award winning Blanc Pinot Rose.
- Black Star Farms – $5 for tastings – This is an interesting tasting room with many guests visiting to imbibe. You can also taste their mild Raclette cheese while sipping on wine. Friends love their Riesling. BSF is also a B&B which looks like it would be fun to stay a night here on the farm sometime.