On your way down to Santa Cruz on the weekend avoid HWY 17 and take Old San Jose/Soquel Road down past Historic Casalegno’s Market and Coffee Bar (Exit 17 at Summit Road, veer right back over-top of 17 and then go left at the stop sign). Mostly mountain locals frequent Casalegno’s Market but it is worth a stop for great coffee, yummy local goods, and for a family owned business experience. If Chris is working ask him to make you his coffee specialty. It is superb Ugly Mug coffee. Then enjoy your java out front at a table in the sunshine and hear some of the history of this Stagecoach stop from a local. If you are lucky you will catch a BBQ lunch too.
Casalegno’s was a stop on the Stagecoach road to San Jose.
- Kelly’s French Bakery – Baked Goods
- Laurel Glen Fruit Farm Fresh Eggs – $6/dozen
- Local Wine (very limited selection)
- Good, cold Beer (Quad Paned Refrigerator from 1938 keeps the beer at 38F)
- Local Organic Produce (small stand)
Casalegno’s Market & Coffee Bar
3 Laurel Glen Road – 95073
Mon.-Fri. 7-7:30am • Sat. & Sun. 8am-8pm